ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH, LOCHGELLY

Clergy, parishioners and Archbishop Gray of St. Andrews and Edinburgh arrive at St. Patrick’s Church in Lochgelly for the opening ceremony. (clip - full length available onsite)

This film is in copyright

This film is protected by copyright and is provided for personal, private viewing only. Please use the Hire, buy or ask a question button to ask about obtaining a copy of this film or a licence to use it, or to ask about its copyright status.

Find similar films

Places:

  • Fife

Subjects:

  • Religion

Genres:

  • Local topical

Decade:

  • 1950s

Related films

Please read Understanding catalogue records for help interpreting this information and Using footage for more information about accessing this film.

Overall rating:

Title: ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH, LOCHGELLY

Reference number: 0963

Date: 1952 - 1953

Director: [filmed by Tommy Timmons, proprietor of Cinema de Luxe, Lochgelly]

Sound: silent

Original format: 35mm

Colour: bw

Fiction: non-fiction

Running time: 8.29 mins

Description: Laying the foundation stone of St. Patrick's Church, Lochgelly by Archbishop G.J. Gray of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, on the 8th. November 1952 and the procession of clergy and parishioners entering the newly opened chapel on 4th October 1953.

Shotlist: [8th Nov. 1952] ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH, LOCHGELLY
Credits Blessing laying of foundation stone by his grace Archbishop G.J. Gray, MA DD, of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, 8th November 1952. (0.12)Solemn procession from unidentified building out through gates into streets of Lochgelly, led by priests, Archbisop Gray, nuns and parishioners following (2.20) Archbishop Gray blesses the foundation stone, speaking to parishioners through a microphone (3.02) shots (some underexposed) of the watching parishioners as ceremony proceeds and the stone is lowered into position (4.18)

[4th Oct. 1953] ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH, LOCHGELLY SOLEMN OPENING
Credits (4.26) pan from gates of Catholic church to group of men (all wearing white ribbon?) (4.50) shot inside chapel with view down centre aisle to altar (4.58) two priests and another man outside building (5.04) solemn process including Archbishop Gray, MA, DD, of St. Andrews and Edinburgh, makes its way to the new chapel through the town streets (5.49) ext. of chapel as Archbishop Gray performs ceremony (5.55) parishioners file in through gates as Archbishop and other clergy move away from the front of the building (6.25) more shots of parishioners entering (8.25) shot of statue mounted on gable end of new chapel building (8.29)